CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 24, 2005

My Ode to Sweatshop Union


My Ode to Sweatshop Union (taken from my Myspace blog.)

So October 18th came. I was beside myself with excitement. It felt like Christmas eve. I was finally going to be able to see my favourite lyricists in person: live show. Sweatshop Union was making a stop in Jasper and I had gotten the days off to go see the show. I worked that morning, hardly able to concentrate, so curious and excited about the night before me. We all got together and got ready, got in the van and drove to Jasper. When we first got to the club I was dismayed to see that there was no one inside...my first thought was that perhaps they had cancelled, but DJ Rob said that the show was going to be a late one so I didn't worry too much more. We walked outside, the girls started going a bit insane and waving and pointing, turns out that our group was staying in the hotel room right above the club, so we waved and went along our merry way to get some pre-show drinks. After a couple of gin and tonics later we were ready. We headed back to the B and got our tables...the boys had more drinking inmind and quickly the excitment and bodies in the club grew. My favourite Kyprios song came on so Nicki and I went and danced, and I was just feeling good and having a great time when I looked over to Rob the DJ and noticed him talking to Kyprios. I almost fell down. *laugh* I am such the drama queen and I was so unsure what to do. The guys from the group were all standing there, less than five feet from us but I didn't want to be that girl who runs over and gushes all over them, but then I also knew that they knew that I knew who they were so I should probably do something. In perfect big sister form I sent over baby sister to say hello. She was alot more intoxicated than I and had no quams going over to the boys and saying hello. I kept dancing and just getting more and more stoked for the show. Pretty soon they were announcing the Sweatshop Union. The night flew by after this, what was two hours seemed like 2 minutes. They were much better than I had expected. When I worked as a talent scount for Trans Continental Talent in LA, I saw hundreds of hip hop shows, and usually either the show was good and the CD wasn't or vice versa. Because I had heard only Sweatshop's CD's and Kyprios live I wasn't too sure what to expect. Rapping on stage in front of a live crowd is a tough task, the breathing has to be just right, flow, and music has to perfect. They were AWESOME! I was beyond impressed really. I was spellbound. Although they were missing one member (Get well soon) they rocked my socks right off! I want to praise each member individually but I feel a bit ridiculous calling them by their "handles" I feel like such a groupie although after reading the above, obviously I am...*laugh* To begin with, Marmalade...looks like a regular cutie. White boy can spit! He was solid during the entire show, has a smile that I'm sure melts many hearts and a range with his voice that keeps lyrical fans totally enthralled. Impressive. Metty. Has this odd sex appeal. I'm not usually a fan of the skater guy but he has this stage personality that makes him irresistable. He raps like he was born doing it. He was the only one I didn't get to say thanks for the show too, so thanks! Dusty...the dreds are great! The dancing was even better. This guy is unreal. Speaks so fast that his voice makes its own music. Not to mention his happy and genuine smiles! DJ Itchy Ron...I love New York too! Great work on the tables...being a DJ is super hard work but Ron makes it look so easy. He has this shy smile, sings with the hooks and scratches his way through the sets...he makes everything work together...a live DJ to spin, every MC should be so lucky. Mos...where do I begin. Okay, so I have a soft spot for those black/brown eyes. He was fantastic. The lyrics and ryhmes that he raps, you can tell come from his soul. He puts alot of passion into the stage show and makes eye contact with the crowd. He was so mesmerizing it was hard to take your eyes off him. Kyprios. My old friend from last summer. Incredible yet again. He really has an integral place within this group although solo he is awesome too. Kyprios has a presence on the stage that only adds to aura of the Union. Kyprios has a way of speaking that goes beyond rapping...he is truly the master of the spoken word. Live he is almost possessed by his hip hop soul. The way that he moves, the way that he plays around, the way that the words leap from his mouth and into your mind...it is truly something to see. Thank you Sweatshop Union! SO yea, I guess you can say that I loved the show. I will definately be seeking them out to see again and again and I will also help to educate the world of the greatness of Sweatshop Union. They're here to show the the world how strong CANADA IS!

0 comments: